Beyond Storytelling 101
This is NOT a workshop for beginners. This workshop is geared for participants who have been telling stories actively for some time and wish to improve their telling skills.
4 sessions, three hours per session
No. of Participants:
Min: 6 people; Max: 10 people
- Participants who are able to communicate fluently in English are welcome.
- Please come dressed in loose, comfortable clothing so that you will not feel constricted while doing the various breathing and vocal exercises.
- Please have ready 2 stories that you would like to learn to tell or to improve the telling of.
Notes for Organisers:
- Please make available a fair-sized room that can easily accommodate all the workshop participants and the facilitator (seated in a circular formation). Please make sure that any other tables and chairs are stored against the wall or outside the room so that the participants have space to move freely about the space when they do the various exercises.
- Please make sure that the room has been vacuumed thoroughly before the workshop. The participants will be doing deep breathing exercises; thus a dusty environment would not be conducive at all.
- Please provide a large whiteboard and pens as well as access to computer/computer projection to show PowerPoint slides.
- Please make copies of hand-outs that will be emailed to prior to the workshop. The hand-outs are to be given to the participants at the end of the workshop.
Have you been telling stories for some time already and been wondering how you can improve your storytelling skills? If yes, then Beyond Storytelling 101 is for you! Beyond Storytelling 101 aims to enhance participants’ ability to adapt stories for telling and to hone their delivery skills over 12 hours of coaching.
- How to choose and adapt stories for performance
- Telling for children vs. telling for adults
- Vocal skills: speech clarity, projection, expressiveness
- Presentation skills: awareness of body language, use of gestures, working with props/visual aids
- Rehearsal skills: regarding different methods of preparation
- Performance skills: physical & vocal warm-ups, how to overcome nerves, coping with gaffes
About the Facilitator
Verena Tay has spent more than 25 years acting, directing and writing for Singaporean English-language theatre. She has three published collections of plays and is now working on her debut novel and first volume of short stories. In addition, Verena is an active storyteller-cum-storytelling coach and a co-founder of MoonShadow Stories. Possessing an MA in Voice Studies (Central School of Speech and Drama, 2005) and an MA in English Literature (National University of Singapore, 1993), she has been helping people to improve their communication skills since 2001 and currently teaches voice, speech and presentation skills at various local institutions. For more information about Verena, please visit www.verenatay.com.
Participants’ Feedback on Verena Tay’s Beyond Storytelling 101 Course (2011)
“Your frank assessment of my presentation makes me want to be a better storyteller… I am grateful and thankful for opening your resources and expertise to groom us to be good storytellers. You are a great teacher.”
“All aspects of the workshop was beneficial but the one that struck me the most was learning to own the story and fleshing out the characters as how you see it.”
“The technical parts of voice-making and voice using. It’s exactly what I expected for… Instructor is very observant & sharp to notice the strength and weakness of the participants.”
“The different expressions/tone and body movements I can create with just a verb. This will definitely prove exciting for children who can imagine & create from movements. I learnt much. Thank you.”
“Experience the power of storytelling in this experiential workshop. See your story come to life.”
“Was lots of fun, thoroughly enjoyed it.”
“An enlightening experience!”
“The workshop was fabulous!! ... It’s been an eye opener in terms of what goes on behind the scenes to say a good story with impact. An absolute blessing to learn from a powerful storyteller like yourself !! Thanks ever so much!”
What aspects of this workshop benefitted you most?
“Vocal variety. Using action to create voice. The mouth exercise.”
“Theoretical aspects. Vocal practices. Performance appraisals — self & others.”
“The techniques of voice projection + vocal modulation.”
“1. The Voice Modulations. 2. How to Control body movement.”
“Understanding the importance of character placement in the story, the thought that if the character is real for you-then he is real for the audience, the importance of voice and other exercises.”
“Voice technique. Variation of the voice, using your body movement. Visualising the story, & telling it from a different angle.”
“Voice warm up, modulation. Narrative technique.”
Participants’ Feedback on Verena Tay’s Beyond Storytelling 101 Course (2010)
“I have learned the difference between theater and storytelling. More importantly, I learned a lot of new techniques: hot to change from one character to another faster within a story. The workshop structure is well organized. It’s great!”
“The vocal training & correct body alignment. Using different body movements to create different voices. Valuable feedback on my storytelling style. Feel that I have met my objective. Thank you very much for the valuable feedback. It really helps.”
Tang Souw Ngo
“Using different methods to project a character. Pointing out the weak points in my storytelling style.”
“Good feedback to scenarios. Actually going through the stages instead of the shortcuts. Seeing proper situations from peers – help us reflect.”
“Voice (diaphragmatic), warm up, voice exercises that helps me to narrate/portray characters ‘realistically’. Beneficial for teachers and people who want to perform/tell stories. Verena is knowledgeable and talented.”
“Helped me to gain confidence in a way that now I can look at the audience in stead of staring at the empty air.”
Participants’ Feedback on Verena Tay’s Beyond Storytelling 101 Course (2009)
“Allowed to develop my own style. Patience by Verena to guide me.”
“Some of the vocal exercises were helpful for making us aware of the need for vocal range.”
Ng Seng Chuan
“Great as it was.”
“The vocal exercises for better clarity. Feedback given by Verena on my ‘voice dropping’ & rhythm. The personal hours for extra coaching were good. I enjoyed the course, very useful. My confidence level has improved.”
“Voice-projection. How to tell a story in a ‘performing’ style. Crafting a personal tale into a ‘tellable’ story. Very specific and constructive comments which helped improved my storytelling.”
Lim Peng Peng