The ABCs of Oral Storytelling
A Storytelling Workshop Targeted at Teachers
Facilitated by Verena Tay
|Date:||24 Sep 2012|
10am - 5.00pm
|Location:||Singapore Management University (SMU)|
$250 (200)* for 1 participant;
Storytelling is one of the most powerful tools a teacher can use to engage students. Humans love listening to stories, we often learn facts, morals and language skills better through stories told to us. This 6-hour workshop is designed for teachers who wish to captivate their students through oral storytelling, and incorporate oral storytelling activities in the classroom.
• How to choose and adapt stories appropriate to your needs
• Rehearsal skills - Connecting to your chosen story and learning a story without memorisation
• Bringing stories alive - Developing an expressive voice and body
• Using props - Kamishibai (Traditional Japanese storyboards), hand puppets and simple percussion instruments
• Relating with your audience - Interaction skills and techniques to encourage audience participation
• What is a story?
• Choosing a story
• Learning and connecting with your story
• Using your voice and body to bring stories alive
• Using props
• Relating to your audience
• Putting it together - The final presentation
• Teachers who wish to captivate their students through oral storytelling
• Teachers who wish to incorporate oral storytelling activities in the classroom
To register for this workshop, visit http://www.ureka-sg.com/art_history.php?id=62 to download the registration form.
Kindly fill in your particulars in the indicated fields and send the document as an attachment to [email protected] . You should receive our email acknowledgement within 2 working days of your registration.
Please contact Nicholas Yeo, Programme Director, UREKA Education via [email protected] and/or 9048 6499.